Saturday, December 1, 2012

Tennis: lessons start!

I finally started going back to tennis practice at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo. My coach's name in Chandaka and there are also two more instructors called Thilan and Sarath. The SSC consists of only clay courts and so this means that should it rain on any day; the courts are unusable, therefore our coach will hold the lessons at the Taj Samudra Hotel in Colombo which consists of two hard courts.

So first day back and I'll be honest, I was really scared. I hadn't played tennis in over 8 months because I had stopped going to practice for my IGCSE exams and mock exams that spanned from April to May, then followed by the summer vacation. I thought for sure that I will not be able to play a single shot over the net because it felt almost unreal holding my tennis racket after such a long time. But, I was mistaken. Well sure, the first few shots went all over the place but soon I got a rhythm going and it felt like I never stopped playing at all! Most of my shots made it over the net and many of them were pretty good strokes.

After we warmed up with some knocks, we played a match. There are three more people in the class and so were were able to play a doubles match. We were tied at 3-3 but unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the match because another student came and I decided to step out and let him play the remainder of the game (he was younger than me and less experienced). I went to rally with Thilan for rest of the session.

Overall, it was a good day especially when I realized that I didn't have to go back to the basics and learn everything fresh! This now gave me the opportunity to undertake new challenges in the lessons to follow. I was able to apply the skills that I knew to this lesson without having much trouble. However, this was mainly due to the fact that I really showed great deals of perseverance and commitment, in order to make sure played the basic shots properly. I'm really glad that I did finally go back to practice because I really did miss the game and the thrill :)

No comments:

Post a Comment