Monday, November 26, 2012

Drum lessons

Today was my 7th drum lessons since I started it last month on the 8th of October. Here are a few details about my lessons: I have a lesson every Monday for 30 minutes, my teacher's name is Roshan and I am still just a beginner to drums.

So up until the last lesson, I have only been doing some practice exercises that were done in order for me to be comfortable with the drum set in general and to keep a steady tempo going for a given period of time. Last lesson however, I was told to undertake a new challenge, which was playing a proper beat. Last lesson, I was taught how to do the 4/4 beat which is essentially a simple beat with a 4/4 time signature (1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4...). I was able to play this beat easily after a few minutes of practice and a countless amount of failed attempts. So today, I was asked to undertake another new challenge. Roshan taught me how to do the another basic drum beat, famously known as the 'waltz'.

The waltz drum pattern consists of a 3/4 time signature (1 2 3, 1 2 3...). This beat was an even easier beat to learn and play successfully than the 4/4 beat as I was able to play it in a few minutes without making many mistakes :) . He also taught me how to incorporate a 'drum roll' to the beat as well; this is a quick drum pattern where we basically beat all the drums in succession starting from the snare drum to the floor tom-tom and finally ending with a sharp hit to the clash symbol. By the end of the lesson I can certainly say I have developed new skills since I now know how to do two different drum beats.

What I learned: 
  • I am now more confident with playing the drums and hopefully I would be able to easily pick up on the beats that I am to learn in the coming months.
  • Confidence is key to playing an instrument and this is true for many other things as well, not just musical instruments. I have gained more confidence in this process to be much more "free" when playing the drums and simply letting the beats just come out as you play without having to think too much about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment