Saturday, November 3, 2012

IB Orientation trip to Borderlands- Day 3

So this was day three and the also the final day of our trip to Borderlands. On that day, the only plan was to go Canyoning. This was another chance for me to undertake a new challenge. What is Canyoning? well this is basically going to the top of a hill where a canyon is located and we jump through the water using the rocks until we get to the main river body. This may sound simple enough but doing it is a whole other story, out of all the activities we did so far, for me this was the most frightening of all. It was another rainy day and so the rocks we were standing on weren't so safe, an experienced camp guide taught us how to move around these rocks safely and other techniques to stay out of danger; such as, tapping our helmets twice to indicate that we are alright. We jumped through several rocks, gradually making our way down to the river. Unfortunately, due to the heavy downpour we could canyon all the way to the river, so we had to get off half way down the canyon and trek back to the river bank where we would float and move downriver all the way back to camp. This part of the activity didn't take much effort and so due to the lack of movement our bodies started to get very cold. But thankfully, our life jackets ensured that we were able to preserve our body heat as well and so, things started to get much more relaxing.

What I learned that day:
  • Personally, that activity was very scary to me, I think I almost lost my glasses during one jump as well! However, I did show perseverance and commitment throughout the challenge. I'm really glad and proud of my self that I accomplished it and it also made me much confident to take more risks in life. 
  • Team work is again, essential for successful canyoning and for any other activity that you could never really finish on your own. I learned to trust my colleagues more and to provide them with all the support I can give when they need it as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment