Tuesday, February 26, 2013

WWW: Day 4 - The Big One

Thursday was our last day Biking in the East coast, the next day we simply departed back to Colombo and overall it was an uneventful journey.

Stopping for a quick rest after biking half way, I'm on the left
(Photo credits: Mr. Shipley) 
On Thursday we were to bike over 60 Kilometers to a Hindu temple located near the outskirts of the Yala national park. Prior to the trip to the east coast, a group was made consisting who were in charge of cooking food for the entire WWW group on day 4 of our trip. So, on Thursday morning, they cooked us an entire lunch to take with us to the temple. After we arrived to the temple and after being hungry for hours, we were finally able to eat the delicious food they had cooked for. After that, some of us had the choice of either biking back the 60 Kilometers or going back on the bus, I decided to go back on the bus because I was feeling really worn out after the initial ride. 

Taking a quick picture before going over to Yala
(Photo credits: Mr. Shipley)
The bike ride on that day really was the most tiring and most exhilarating one of all the days. On the other days, we would always stop for a rest after about 10 kilometers from where we started, however on day 4 we stopped for our first rest after biking for 25 kilometers, this may have been the hardest part of the journey because we were still trying to break in to our bikes since the day before. A few of us stopped after 10 km but I decided to keep going because I really wanted to challenge myself and try to push myself to achieve something that I have never done before. The road was flat and  barely had any bumps or turns, until we reached Yala.


A small technical trail that tested our ability to take
quick decisions
(Photo credits: Mr. Shipley)
The trail in Yala consisted completely of mud, dirt, rocks and a whole lot of bumps and holes. We had to maneuver our bikes so as not to fall in to these holes and always stay clear of sand trails because it is almost impossible to bike straight on one of these. This went on for rest of the journey to the temple. 
I feel that day 4 of the trip really helped me in improving my biking skills but not only that, it also helped me to take quick decisions when necessary- which would be very useful to me in the future- and also to find the best decision; this is really important because although one trail might look easy, it doesn't mean that you should just speed through it without another thought, you should plan your action and then go at the appropriate speed. 

The trip to the East coast of Sri lanka was the best trip I went to and I'm really glad that I went with an amazing group of people. Throughout the trip, I have shown great deals of perseverance and commitment to biking, as well as worked collaboratively with others, which include my OSC friends and also the kids at the local school we visited.   


No comments:

Post a Comment